Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Memory Table of my Childhood

I am so happy to be able to participate this week in Tablescape Thursday , hosted by Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch .. Thank you Susan for hosting this every week and giving us a place to show off our pretties..

 I need to tell ya'll a little story about the table I did my dish display on.. I used to come to NC to spend my summers, with my Grandparents. They had a sleeping porch and thats what I used as a bedroom. It was small and cozy with just a bed, a side table and chair. I loved staying in that little room and looking out at the stars at night and alot of my days were spent at that table with coloring books, crayons and paper dolls .. Time went by and my grandparents passed away and through the years all their belongings were scattered hither and yon.  The other day I was looking on craigslist and the ad said ""antique side table, legs need repair, normal wear and tear of being 63 years old"". I thought , well,at least the owner was honest so I clicked on the ad and the photo popped up... it was MY TABLE, if not the one I sat at all those hours, it was its Twin. I called and the next morning I purchased it..I tighened up the legs, rubbed it hard with furniture polish , thought about the nicks and scratches and said NO, I'm not sanding and staining or painting it.. I'm leaving it just as it is.. She's been around alot of years and has been well used and well loved.
Her memories show on her surface, just as mine do. So we will go along together , with all our little blemishes showing , smiling all the way... Thanks for letting me share with you.
 I need to squeeze this notice in here:-) Theres a Giveaway over at - click on her blog name below..
Southern Inspiration          Be sure to go visit her to read all about it....
I just got a new set of dishes, so I used those in my display.. They are Chris Madden from JC Penneys..
 Very nice dishes but I like a bargain and these were a little pricey.
One of my DH's favorite desserts is peach cobbler, so he's a happy camper today.  Warm cobbler and hot tea and he asks for nothing more.
He did want to know why those bunnies were so close to his cobbler , so I just told him they were WatchBunnies, there to protect his bowl from anyone else stealing it ..:-)
heres the recipe I use..
Peach Cobbler
2 1/2 pounds ripe, juicy peaches (about 4 cups sliced)
3/4 cup of sugar
4 drops almond extract
pinch of cinnamon (optional)
2 tablespoons butter
biscuit top (below)
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Peel peaches by dipping into boiling water for about a minute then slip off skins. Slice into wedges, discarding pits. Place in a shallow 6 cup baking dish or casserole, sprinkle with sugar and almond extract. Dot with butter and cover with rolled out biscuit dough (see below) for top.
Topping~
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup butter or shortening
1/2 cup milk minus 1 tablespoon
Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or two knives, or your fingertips. Stir in milk, all at once, stirring with a fork until dough clings together. Pat or roll out dough to 1/4" thickness and place over peaches. Trim edges, crimp or flute to seal. Cut a hole in the top center for steam to vent.
Bake in hot 425° oven for 15 minutes, then reduce to 325°F. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until peaches are cooked and top is golden.
She looks so pretty at night sitting in the corner of my family room.. This is where I spend alot of my time, since I work from home and I am so happy to have her here with me.
Thanks for visiting me and my table. We loved having you with us.. Come by anytime..
Sonny

28 comments :

  1. Sonny, that is one beautiful little table. Honestly, I love it. And though I agree that a bargain is nice, those dishes are beautiful and you deserve them!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story that is! I hold things like that so near and dear to me too! What a great reminder of the past and you are creating new memories of your own present!!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sonny! Oh, I loved your table story! How thrilled you must have been to have found its twin. You did good at shining her up! I love your pretty new dishes and your vignette is so lovely! Now I'm hungry and there is nothing like a warm peach cobbler!
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story and how wonderful that you were able to find "your" table again! Your tablescape is lovely too and the cobbler looks yummy!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story. Do you think that could be the same table and it made it's way back to you? I love the legs on it and I would leave it like it is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you reconnected with a happy and sentimental part of your past. Your little table is lovely! And sometimes spending a little more for something so pretty is worth it. Your new dishes look beautiful filled with peach cobbler. Yummy!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonny, great story! I'll bet you feel incredible just having it in your home. The dishes look so comfortable and suit the table perfectly. I'm so glad you were able to make it yours!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonny,
    What a great story! I loved it AND your table! It is beautiful! What a great find...I'm so happy for you. Iknow you love it too, especially with all the special memories associated with it! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a cute table with adorable bunnies! But, the very best part is the sweet sentiment with the table! What a wonderful story! I still think of a table my Grandma owned and wonder where it is today. I'm glad you found that table!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story about your little table. I love the way you have set it for dessert for your sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a wonderful memory table! I'm so glad you found it, it is beautiful! The dishes are very pretty, and the cobbler looks yummy!! Love it!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story! And I love those dishes. I have wanted them for a long time. They might be pricey, but they really do look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story and good memories. Very pretty display and the cobbler looks scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Morning Ladies..
    Thank you all for visiting and commenting.. It means alot to me.. I doubt thats the original table but its close enough for me and I am so enjoying sitting here reading your words, visiting your blogs and sipping my coffee with her as my new companion.. I think something happened when I turned 50 on my birthday. Every since I have had a longing to start gathering items from my childhood. Maybe I have reached a cozy time in my life and to me, thats a good thing..
    Some of you mentioned my new dishes and I think I forgot to say in my post they are on sale 1/3rd their original price. They started out at 199.00 and are now in the JCP clearance section for 89.00.. Just want to warn you they take awhile to arrive- about 3 weeks from the time you order.. They are very nice and you're right, I do deserve them lol.
    Thank you all for sharing my happiness.
    ~ Sonny ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love stories that go with the furniture. That is a lovely piece, and the little rabbits by the cobbler. Too cute!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your new dishes....I am really enjoying your blog and have signed up as a follower...love your sense of style. Please come visit me when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cozy and lovely. Thanks for the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad you found your little table, Sonny. It is so pretty. Your dishes are also very pretty. I love peach cobbler too. Yum!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a treat! So cozy and welcoming I am going to have to remember to do something like it for my loves.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely story and table. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh what a wonderful story about the table. It's a beauty, and I'm so glad you found it. Your new china is so pretty, and love the bunnies peaking out. That cobbler is making my mouth water. I'm going to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing it. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Me again - I meant to thank you for leaving such a lovel comment on my blog today. It made my day! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, that table is such a wonderful find.It's a also a beautiful set of dishes.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a precious story!! I'm so glad you found the table! It looks beautiful all set up for tea and dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  25. yeaaaaa more pals have stopped by to see me..
    I finally figured out I can click on your photo/name and find your blog:-) Then come to visit and leave a comment.. So for the moment anyway I have visited everyone who came to visit me and gotten to see all your pretty displays.
    Ladies you are all so talented and make such pretty homes for you and your family.. I hope you are proud of yourself, cause you outta be. That takes love- time and effort. I appreciate all the hard work it took for you to do your tables and displays and I'm looking for ward to your next..
    Have a wonderful weekend. I'm cleaning out and cleaning up so I may not get a chance to be around much.. Not sure how I accumulate so much stuff during the fall and winter months but I always seem to. Now its time to pass off some of these large and small items to others so they can be put to good use or just enjoyed as their new treasure... See ya Soon and thanks again.
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  26. My oh my,~how I enjoyed t about your childhood memories! That heartwarming and touching childhood story aa well as how you found the twin of the table that you had in the sleeping porch at your precious grandparents home long ago! (Even the peach cobbler and the 'watch bunnies'; too cute)!~ You're as adorable as your lovely white tablescape!


    Thanks so much for visitng me as a first time participant of Susan's, Tablescape Thursday!.., I'm glad that you enjoyed my blue and white breakfast table vignette..,

    Now I'm off to check out that link..,

    Cheers and hugs fromm Wanda Lee @ The Plumed Pen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved the story! Your dishes and the peach cobbler look wonderful! I love bunnies too!
    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  28. Morning Wanda and Donna.. Thank ya'll so much for visiting me. I hopr you both have a wonderful weekend.~!!

    ReplyDelete


Ya'll Come Back Now, Ya Hear :-)
.
Hugs and Smiles
Sonny